Eligible projects are selected by World Bank environment specialists and meet specific criteria for low-carbon development.
Examples of eligible mitigation projects are:
- Solar and wind installations;
- Funding for new technologies that permit significant reductions in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions;
- Greater efficiency in transportation, including fuel switching and mass transport;
- Waste management (methane emissions) and construction of energy-efficient buildings;
- Carbon reduction through reforestation and avoided deforestation.
Examples of eligible adaptation projects are:
- Protection against flooding (including reforestation and watershed management);
- Food security improvement and implementing stress-resilient agricultural systems (which slow down deforestation);
- Sustainable forest management and avoided deforestation.